Down River

May 12, 2009 at 7:08 pm (Reviews)

Down River by John Hart.  Yet another free ebook from the Sony bookstore.  It is a very complex thriller that moves along a rapid pace, which certainly keeps you reading.  I can’t say that I loved it, although I liked it enough to read it all the way through.  My biggest complaint was that there was no normalcy anywhere.  Every character was hiding something, double dealing in some way, or a caricature rather than a character.  It was almost like the protagonist, Adam Chase, was some kind of lighting rod for dysfunctionality and crime.  Actually, I was reminded of something my mother once said about happy families…that 95% of families are dysfunctional to some extent.  And the other 5% lie.  Adam’s family is one of the 5%, that’s for sure.  It wasn’t a bad book, just not really good.  And its not that I don’t like Southern Gothic thrillers…just ask me how I feel about the writing of James Lee Burke sometime!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: